7/24/09

Mt Democrat

This last weekend I went with the BCC group and did Mt Democrat. I was hoping to do all 4 (Democrat, Cameron, Bross and Lincoln) but at the top of Democrat my feet started hurting (specifically my heels, which just get worse as I walk more,) and I decided not to. Anyways, we left at about 5:15 AM, and got to the trail head and started hiking at about 8AM.



The trail heads off from Kite Lake. From this trail, you can do the four mountains. The trail is mostly a circle, that ends up with 4 shots off of it, one to the top of each. Kite lake gets its name for, well obvious reasons:



Along the side of Mt Democrat, there are several waterfalls that feed into Kite Lake:









They're fed by snow melt, and there were still several large snowfields around on the mountains, even though it's July. One of them that you have to cross to summit, was at least 50ft long, and about a foot deep (I don't know how wide it was, because I couldn't see the other side after it dropped over the edge.

From the saddle between Democrat and Cameron:



When I reached the summit, there were probably 25 people there. While I ate my lunch and relaxed a bit and took some pictures, a couple of people asked if I'd take their picture with a sign they made, they then offered to take mine with it (Their elevation is off, it's actually closer to 14,140 ft)



It was extremely windy on the way up and down Democrat, and in some gusts, it would have been easy to lose your footing if you weren't being careful. Now I can cross one more 14er off my list. Only 52 to go.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Great job on the pictures, Trent! (I especially like the one I used on my blog header, too. Thanks!) It is no wonder that you love to be out in the middle of all that beauty.

Anonymous said...

Nice shots! So which one(s) are you going to do with me next? Sunshine and Redcloud?

Jeanette said...

PS: I do like your header picture.

Trent said...

I'd like to do them, but I think I need to get some training in before I try, that's a long 12 miles for them. I'd also like to get Bierstadt and Evans in this year, and maybe even the long route up Elbert in, the one that goes over S. Elbert. That's a long one too though. I'm considering doing them during the week and working Saturday or taking a vacation day to do them (Wednesdays look the best for that to me.)