6/24/09

YAGP (Yet Another Gear Post)

Yes, apparently I have more stuff I need to list as 'gear' since I noticed I don't have it all in the other posts. That and the fact I've gotten new gear, it's a required update once in a while.

Tent:

Big Agnes Sunnyside 2 - This is my current tent (mine is also gray, not yellowy-orange.) It's heavy. After carrying it for 3 days last time, I was about tired of it. 6lbs (the 'shipped weight' on the box it came in was 7lbs) is heavy. I'm currently researching a different tent that's half the weight. The other issue was the rain. This tent is two parts - the tent body, and the rain fly. Great for keeping out the rain after its started, not so great while setting up. The top of the tent is mesh, so any rain that falls while setting it up will get inside the tent.

The two new tents I'm trying to decide are on the REI Ace SW 2 and the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. I'm not sure that I want a single wall tent, need to talk to someone who knows more about it and has experience with them. Either of the tents are about half the weight of the Sunnyside 2, which would be a huge reduction overall.

Clothing:

The Mountain Hardware pants have to go back. Some of the seams came apart, so, sort of worthless. So, I found some REI pants I like a good bit (plus they were on sale during their annual sale.)

REI Sahara Convertable Pant - Comfy, though I've burned a hole in one of the zip off legs (well, two holes) while sitting around the camp fire. Whups.

Columbia River Runner Shirt - Very comfortable. Soft as can be, and light. I haven't worn it hiking yet (though I have another similar shirt that I have.) People act like I'm dressed up when I wear my hiking gear. Go figure.

Columbia Silver Ridge 2 Shirt - Just as comfortable as the River Runner shirt, though not as soft. It's a bit lighter, and I was quite pleased with it on the Colorado Trail segments 3 and 4.

Bridgedale Lightweight Endurance Trail Hiker Sock - Wow that's a long name. Great socks though, I cut down to wearing one pair on the 30 miles of trail over Memorial Day, not one blister, feet stayed nice and dry too.

Marmot Afterburner Fleece Jacket - Finally another one I could find at Trailspace. It's windproof and just as heavy of a fleece as my old one. I wanted it for the windproof goodness of the thing. Nothing was worse than getting toasty warm in the other, then getting frozen by the wind that blew straight through.

Other stuff:

I picked up some of the CamelBak Elixir Tablets before the trip out on Memorial Day. A bit expensive, but worth it for a boost and a change from plain water (though filtered water straight from snow melt is GREAT.) I'm just glad it doesn't leave any funky taste in the reservior after I finish them off. They taste pretty good (4 tablets in 100oz. doesn't taste watered down to me, like the one guy says.)

Exped Pillow Pump - Picked this up to be able to ditch the fleece's weight and bulk. That's not to say the fleece won't find its way back into my pack during cold weather, but, this thing is lighter and about 1/4 the size of the fleece.

Tarp - It's a good thing to have. Emergency shelter, extra warmth, rain gear, whatever. It's light and a good cook area under it for one person. 6 ft by 8 ft, any smaller and it'd be too small for what I got it for.

I think that's it for new gear. I can't think of anything else, currently anyways.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are you going to put this fancy gear to use next?

Trent said...

Don't know. Probably going to try and do something on the 4th. My back is getting to normal, but not quite there yet.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

WooHoo, a Gear Post!
I saw it here the other day but had to wait till I had time to do the links! Living vicariously, that's what I'm living! Not that I wanna do the hikes! I just the gear! Ha Ha! I especially found the CamelBak Elixir Tablets very interesting to read about! Unless I misunderstood, it looks like it produces 12 servings for $9.95. That's actually very good when you consider the tag on cappuccinos and even regular coffee! I'd say it's a good investment when you are out on a long stint in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks for the rabbit trail reading! Great fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ulehovyhop.servetown.com/yfukyg.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money